Friday, March 4, 2011

Giving Thanks

Spell work and manifestation are constantly spoken about and expected when practicing magic. We are always reading or learning about ways to call in our desires, how to direct energies to work in a beneficial way in our lives. There are countless books dedicated to teaching us how best to change our perceptions and utilize our personal power in order to achieve our own purposes, but what about when those goals have been realized?

Mabon is fast approaching, it will soon be the autumn equinox in the southern hemisphere, when we have truly left summer behind and the days are more dark than they are light.  The lack of sunlight and the lack of warmth creates a mood of self reflection in me. I have always found it to be a time of taking stock of the things in my life, but I like to look at all the positive things - it makes complete sense to me, in terms of this seasonal change, to use this time for giving thanks, for realizing just what I have to uplift my soul and bring light back to the darkening days.


Six months ago, not long before the spring equinox, I participated in a ritual to sow the seeds of what I wanted to grow in the coming months. We spoke of what we wanted to call in and raised energy in order to manifest these things with the added hope of the returning summer, that joyous anticipatory energy when you know good things are soon to come. Now, looking back, I feel lighter and joyous again with the echo of that hope because I can see how that seed has grown and taken root in my life.

This is why, in my practice, giving thanks is as much a part of spell work as calling in or letting go. In giving thanks I show my gratitude and make myself humble, but I am also filled with awe and wonder at how amazing the universe and my life really is. Giving thanks is an empowering act that I recommend everyone do especially when it feels like a difficult task.

No comments:

Post a Comment