Monday, July 25, 2011

A Coven

I would love to be a part of a coven. I would love to have a circle of other witches that I know and trust to create magic with on a regular basis. I want to belong to something bigger than myself, and I know that I belong to the universe and we can all tap into that and many other kinds of energies outside of ourselves, but i would like that tangible sense of connectedness that I believe would come from being a part of a coven.

This, however, is not the only reason I wish to belong to a coven. I love the way a regularly meeting group keeps me dedicated and focused. In the past, groups that I have attended weekly have kept my spiritual practices in the forefront of my mind and enabled me to be more dedicated to the path I choose to walk. For some reason, without that incentive I find those things pushed to the back of my mind and all the other day to day things take prominence. This is something I find intensely frustrating and I am not really sure how to combat it other than to belong to a group.

The other, more embarrassing, reason is that I have this picture in my mind, a very child-like idea of who a witch is. She isn't old and ugly, there are no warts or pointed hats, but she is wise and comfortable in herself. She might be followed by a cat and she is definitely carrying a book. She isn't necessarily wearing black but it is night time and so her clothes are dark. She has a secret smile and is on her way to meet her coven in a small clearing in the woods.

Although I know this is some kind of fantasy that my mind has made up in response to different kinds of input, I would still love for it to be a reality.

All the witches in her coven spend time making magic, honoring the Goddess and the God. They dance and sing, they share songs and laughter, food and wine. They gather under moonlight, heavy clouds, roaring wind or brightest stars. They feel the rhythms of the earth and learn the different energies of each passing season. They celebrate events in each others lives and bring about changes that they recognize are needed.They provide support for each other, not because any of them are necessarily lacking in support in their day to day lives, but more because in this circle everyone is open and honest, present with perfect love and perfect trust. In this circle it is natural and simple to be everything she wants to be.

I would love to be part of a coven. I realise that the picture I have described is narrow and simplistic. There would be hard work involved and not everyone would get along all the time. Not every circle would be full of laughter. It remains within myself as a kind of longing, a desire as yet unfulfilled. I am not sure it ever will exist and perhaps that is why it doesn't for me.

Writing this blog was supposed to be a bit like a one person coven, writing it regularly, and with dedication, coming back to my spiritual values and keeping present with them. It hasn't really worked. I guess now I need to figure out why....

No comments:

Post a Comment