Thursday, June 9, 2011

Observe

Something I have heard many times from different people is the importance of observation. As a person who is pagan it is a core belief that I am part of the earth and nature and that I need to live in respect of the world around me, but how can I do this if I don't have a true connection or understanding of the way the rhythms of our planet work or interact?

Observation is a great start in forming a connection with nature. Taking time to notice the way the wind moves or how excited the wild life seems is amazing and relaxing and beautiful; observing the world around me is a wonderful form of meditation. The changing of the seasons and the passing of time can be explored with intensity just through watching.

Starhawk talks about 'earth walking' in her book Earth Path. It is a form of meditation where you get to know a certain area near you through observation and meditation with all your senses engaged. It is extremely effective and when practiced regularly it deepens the connection you have with all the energy that flows around you. It begins with the visualisation of growing rots from your feet deep down into the earth and then walking around witht his visualisation and experiencing what is around you in a concsious and open manner. I love this kind of observation, I am always amazed at how much more clearer everything seems in this state.

There are so many wonderful things to be witness to when we just open our senses to what is around us. It seems a shame to miss out on the beauty that is right in front of my nose when all I have to do is notice it.

No comments:

Post a Comment